EX. TUP FACTORY / RED HISTORY MUSEUM
The Carbon Graphite Products Factory (TUP) was founded in 1953 as a workshop of the “Croatia” factory from Zagreb with 25 workers and in the following years grew into the most important representative of the black industry of the Dubrovnik region. During the 1980s, it employed about 600 workers in the production of electrographite, metallographite and metal products, especially used in mechanical engineering, shipbuilding, the chemical and textile industry, transport, and the production of electricity and electric motors. Due to lack of space and significant air pollution caused by coal dust, a new production facility was built in Komolac during the 1960s and 70s. In the years of the Homeland War, the factory produced and repaired weapons for the defense of Dubrovnik, and today it operates in a reduced capacity and is still owned by the workers. Above the premises of the factory is the so-called Tup’s settlement of
15 two-story residential buildings (a total of 60 one- and two-room apartments), built for the needs of workers during the 1960s. After the shutdown of the factory at the end of 2021, the new owner is the city of Dubrovnik, which plans to establish a new cultural and business center in that area.