GRUŽ BAY PORT
The Gruž Bay area is a natural harbor with a deep draft and a shelter from bad weather, which becomes important at the end of the Middle Ages.
In that period, the most intensive Dubrovnik trade and shipbuilding, and with the aim of relieving the main port of Dubrovnik, the first shipyards were established - shearers on the shores of the bay, where wooden ships were built until the second half of the 19th century. The development of the port at the beginning of the 20th century. it was connected with the arrival of the railway, for the needs of which the part of the coast near Kantafig was expanded. The arrival of a large number of officials, customs officers, veterinarians, doctors and finally manual workers was an incentive for further urbanization of the area and expansion of construction towards the interior. Between two St. The port of Dubrovnik is the third Croatian port in terms of cargo traffic and the main cargo connection of Bosnia
and Herzegovina with the sea. Most of the cargo was wood, agricultural products, tobacco, bauxite and other ore. Difficult working conditions and low wages, as well as the increased activity of labor movements, were the cause of numerous port workers’ strikes, the most massive of which was the one in 1934. The abolition of the railway connection in the 1970s and the development of other Adriatic ports reduced its traffic importance. The last port cranes were removed during the 1990s, and today’s modern passenger port with an extended waterfront is equipped to accommodate large cruise ships.